Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Homemade Watercolor Paints ~by Frisky Witch



These are super, and I mean SUPER-easy to make. These homemade watercolor paints cost me absolutely nothing, and they turned out...
so much better than I imagined they would!
You’re going to love how simple this recipe is. You probably already have all the ingredients on hand in your kitchen.

Here’s what you’ll need to make your own homemade watercolor paints:

4 tbsp baking soda
2 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp light corn syrup
2 tbsp corn starch
Food coloring (liquid or gels)
container to keep your paints in – I used a mini muffin tin, but you could use an ice-cube tray, small plastic cups, plastic egg carton etc.

Mix your baking soda and vinegar together (hello science experiment) and wait for the fizzing to stop. It’s handy if you mix in a container that has a spout (I used a 2c measuring cup).

Add your corn syrup and corn starch, and mix well until the corn starch has dissolved.

Pour into your containers. I made a double batch and that made exactly enough to halfway fill all 12 compartments of my muffin tin.

Now, get out your colors and have some fun! Use toothpicks and popsicle sticks for adding your colors, and stir for about a minute to make sure the color is mixed in well.

If you’re using liquid colors, you may have to add about 6 drops to get the intense color that you ‘re looking for. I added a pinch of extra corn starch to compensate for the extra liquid.

Now the hard part: you have to let your paints “set up” and dry which apparently could take up to 2 days. I’m happy to report that my watercolors were solid after sitting over night, and ready to use by mid-afternoon today, so it took less than 24 hours for mine to harden. I did have them sitting beside our fire place all day though so that may have helped.

Once they’re hard, simply grab a paint brush and some water and get painting!! I couldn’t wait to try mine, and I was really impressed when I did. The paints glide on smoothly, the colors look super. Honestly, they are nicer than any of the kiddy watercolor paints I’ve used before. They’re a little chalky when they dry, but not nearly as chalky as the dollar store paints that we’ve been using recently.

I also think the muffin tin will be much better than those shallow trays that kids’ paint usually comes in. With the shallow trays, the colours get muddy quickly when the little ones drag their brushes all over the tray, sloshing water around and mixing the colours together. I’m hoping our colors stay a little “cleaner” now.
AND THESE Homemade watercolor paints don’t stain!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment